Disadvantiages of Chemical Fetilizers
Posted February 27, 2015
- Synthetic fertilizer do not improve soil structure and leach nutrients through the soil before plants can absorb them.
- Unused nitrogen from synthetic fertilizers can seep into groundwater, contaminating valuable sources of drinking water.
- Synthetic fertilizers promote the use of chemical pesticides and fungicides, further poisoning the land.
- Synthetic fertilizers promote accelerated growth disrupting the natural NPK cycle and leave plants vulnerable to disease and insect pests.
- Synthetic fertilizers are composed of gases that can inhibit seed germination and burn tender seedlings.
- The salt content in synthetic fertilizers are toxic to beneficial soil micro-organisms.
- The leaching effect caused from overuse of synthetic fertilizers dissolves the natural soil structure and eventually causes the soil to become compacted and literally lifeless.